Saturday, October 17, 2009

Yesterday…




JoAnn and I were in Spanish Fork yesterday on the anniversary of Calvin's death. (note: I started this on the 16th, but since we were in Boise at the time I had to put it aside for family matters.) I had meetings in Salt Lake City and came back mid-afternoon to find everyone gone. They were off looking for a miniature tree for Calvin's gravesite. The sexton apparently approves trees up to 6 feet mature height.

Around 6:00 pm or so we all went over the the cemetery to plant the tree. We found a couple of other families there and by the time we left at 8 pm there were six families visiting Calvin. Plus there was evidence of a number of other people who had been present at some time during the day. I am still amazed a the outpouring of caring and remembering for Calvin. These six families all showed up spontaneously, just to spend some time with Calvin and remembering him.

On Facebook a young man from Calvin's middle school posted the tribute he was going to read the following morning as an announcement. There were a number of responses to the post and it was touching.

Below are a couple of additional photos I shot. Donna took her camera so hopefully she will post some photos on her blog.


Cole is making sure the hole is the correct size and depth. He wanted to be involved in the whole process.

2 comments:

sally said...

I'm glad you & mom were there for Donna's family. It really is wonderful having you two so close.

Donna said...

Thank you guys for coming. I was so glad to have you both there.