Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Traveling to Boise

Calvin was maybe 3.5 when Donna suggested we take him to Idaho with us. We were traveling from Indiana with Krissie, who was 14, and thought it would be a great idea. We picked Calvin up in Utah and headed out. Krissie was really excited about taking Calvin with us. After we left Spanish Fork and headed up to Boise the two of them in the back seat were in a constant chat. Even then Calvin could dominate a discussion.

This was real treat. Suzanne had only been married for 2 years of less and had no children, so Calvin was king of the roost! The first night we were in Boise we went out for Mexican. Calvin was at the end of the table in a booster seat and the rest of us were all busy talking. The waitress comes up with our obligatory basket of chips, Calvin takes one look, and at the top of his lungs, "Whoa - CHIPS!" We all laughed so hard. He was so excited about food - always pretty much - but that excitement was new to us.

When a couple of daughters and mom, of a couple of daughters without mom, get together shopping is on the menu. A couple of days later we were out shopping for school clothes for Krissie at Target. After selecting a few items, Mom and Krissie headed to the changing area. I picked Calvin up, tossed him over my shoulder and he was a little high - his waist was at my shoulder - and as we walked out of the teens section with us going one way and JoAnn & Krissie another I hear, again at the top of his lungs, "Krissie's getting naked!" I'm red and he is laughing and I'm wondering what Donna is teaching my grandson. Not that I didn't think it wasn't cute, because it was.

3 comments:

Krissie said...

I loved that time with Calvin when I got to really bond with him. It was a great week!

Student Entrepreneur said...

I remember taking him to the little park that was there at my apt complex. And hanging out right outside our front door because it was hot inside. Fun times!!

sally said...

I love stories of Calvin. Since he was the first grandchild we all seem to have something special we all remember.