Friday, June 12, 2009

Whisper's Water Fountain


Our cat, Whisper, is always looking for water everywhere but her water bowl. Every morning she jumps up on the bathroom counter in anticipation that I will fill the basin with water (I figure at least 1.5 gallons) so she can lap up (You know, I've never thought of the term "lap up" and cat in the same sentence. Maybe a dog, like Strider, who could empty a water bowl in 4 laps, but a cat?). If I wash my hands she knows right away there is no water to be had in the bathroom. She casually waits until the next bathroom is operational -

usually during my shower. She lounges outside the shower acting as if getting in the shower would be the best thing that could happen to her. Unfortunately she never takes me up on it, but when I get out of the shower she is on the counter either waiting for me to fill up the sink, or if she has given up, sitting in the sink so no one else can use it. We have 2 sinks so it never quite works for her.


She has finally topped herself in her quest for non-bowl water. Just off the back patio we have a number of plants. One of them I took out with the idea we wouldn't replace it, but I never got around to plugging the drip line head, or apparently digging up the root of the plant. The plant has started to grow again and last week Whisper discovered she can drink out of the water line that feeds it.

The drip head is facing up at about a 45 degree angle and the water flow comes out ever so gently. I guess, I would say, it comes out "just right" for a cat water fountain. Now she will go outside and stare at it in the morning waiting for it to come on. If I come outside she moves away, as if to say, "I'm not doing anything." But, I have watched her through the door. She is good for a full 5 minutes before she has had enough. I think the ratio of staring and waiting if about 10 to 1. I have to admire her perseverance in looking for the "perfect water." We both agree, we are thankful she is not a telephone eating cat, like an unmentioned family dog many of us know.

5 comments:

Donna said...

I'm glad you a cat drinking fountain. Thinking of getting a dog drinking fountain for when we visit?

Student Entrepreneur said...

Too funny!!

Jeni Allen said...

Have you seen the cat fountains they sell? They may be $50, but I'm thinking you'd make it up before to long with the water in the sink routine! Constant water fountain just for whisper!

sally said...

Your cat is so wierd.

Jan Geden said...

Animals are truly incredible. Just when you think you've gotten them figured out, they do something else truly incredible. I love the inventiveness of your cat.

Jan