Saturday, June 6, 2009

Along the Byways of Route 66

As my children know, I'm not big on stopping once I'm on the road, especially if I have a target in mind. However, as I've gotten older I have begun stopping more often. However, the most recent trip was time sensitive so we made good time. We spent a night in Flagstaff on the way to Albuquerque and decided we could make the drive home in a single day. It's less than 700 miles, so it is doable. And most of it is interstate so the going is good and if you leave early enough (like us) you miss about 4 to 5 hours of traffic. It also means you can quit earlier in the day.

If we don't have to be anywhere particularly early, then it is different, but we (okay me) still like to leave early. JoAnn can get a couple of more hours of sleep in, I put on the iPod and ear plugs and listen away.

Coming home from Albuquerque we were making good time and it seemed about time for gas and a restroom. We got off the interstate in Williams, AZ and noticed gas was $2.89 and I suggested we drive the half-mile into town to see if gas was cheaper. It was. We crossed the railroad tracks for the Grand Canyon Railroad and went into a nice little community. It was about 8:30 am so not much other than restaurants and gas stations were open. I found a gas station in the middle of a block sequestered between two buildings. You could access from one street and exit on another street. It was long and narrow and the pumps weren't close to the station.

That worked for me since gas was 40 cents a gallon cheaper. JoAnn got out to stretch her legs and we were right at the corner of a building so she indicated she was going for a walk. Usually gas stations aren't close to anything, but not this time. She came right back and said there was a store and she was going to check it out. I finished the gas, looked around the corner, saw it was a gift shop (or so I thought) and went down the the gas station to see what was inside. By the time I came back she was still gone. That's not like her. I peeked around the corner again (see below) and saw the gift shop. Well, I really hadn't looked close enough. It was a quilt shop. Okay, not big deal. We had done 2 in Albuquerque and so what could she possibly find here. I should know better, I've been taking her to quilt stores for years. Especially if it is a quilt shop open at 8:30 in the morning.

You may not be able to read the fine print, but it is the Quilter's Mercantile. That has got to mean whatever they sell costs a lot of money! The quilt in front of the store should have been a dead giveaway.

I won't tell you what it cost me to get out of there, but gas would have been cheaper at $2.85 a gallon.

All was not lost, however, I found a place to eat the next time we come to town. After all we are on the famous Route 66. Of course it means we will have to alter our driving habits, but we don't mind spending the evening in Flagstaff. I'm anxious to try out the Cruiser's Cafe 66.

You have got to admit that it looks classy. What's not to draw you into the cafe, except it's closed at 8:30 am.

Even if I'm not a Harley guy I think I can go for the food!

One last classy shot!

3 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

that all looks like so much fun. taking the pictures is always the best part! i'm glad you enjoyed yourselves!

sally said...

Wish I could of been there to spend some money with mom.

Student Entrepreneur said...

I am glad you guys had so much fun together!! You two are such good examples for me in my life! I love you dad!