Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sharing Together

One of the great opportunities for a grandparent is to be able to share experiences with their children and grandchildren. Last weekend was an opportunity for us to share experiences that are important to us as we move through this mortal life and prepare us for the eternities. JoAnn and I have made a commitment to be present for many of these experiences. Only as we have moved west have we had the opportunity to be involved in more of these experiences.

Last week in Aurora: 4 families

Some of the experiences are sacred to us and our family. Others allow us to gain glimpses of what our family might become, and yet others allows us to enjoy the moments we have together. I have come to the realization that each experience is precious in its own way. It may appear that some experiences are similar to other experiences we have had, but in reality, each is unique and special.

Family in December, 2000

Last weekend as I watched our children visit with one another and strengthen their bonds I was encouraged and reminded how JoAnn and I sometimes wondered if our family would still be a family as the children grew and went their own ways. We have come to the realization that our family members are unique and different, and yet, they are of one in heart and spirit. The strength of our family comes from the love each has for the other.

They understand the importance of family and we watch them strengthen those relationships among themselves and among their children, individually and collectively. I've never seen a group of cousins who are so close. I know as they grow they will go their individual ways, but they will always be reminded of the times they had together.

A friend of mind spoke recently of his children being so busy they did not have time for their parents. I was struck by that, because this is a good and loving man. It gave me pause and reminded me of the need for our family to always find time for one another. So far I think they do a pretty good job. I feel blessed as a father and a husband. Thank you JoAnn and thank you kids. And thank you to my parents who taught me to love.

6 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

We will ALWAYS have time for our Daddy!! I love you!!

Jeni Allen said...

What a sweet post. I do think we are special and unique. I know so many that live a few miles from each other and do nothing together. I'm glad we make the time for each other!

quilts and quirks said...

I, as a grandmother, love visiting with my children and grandchildren. It is fun to observe how they change and grow. I love to have conversations with my grandchildren when the opportunity is right.

Donna said...

I love my family.

sally said...

I will drop anything to visit my family.

Krissie said...

As we already know, we will do anything for our family.