Sunday, July 18, 2010

Writing

The summer season is my time to do writing. I have been a university department chair for 9 years and have one more year in that capacity. It has cut into my writing time during the academic year, so I look forward to having the opportunity to write in the summer. Knowing that I only have 1 year left as a department chair, and have less responsibility this year, I’m hoping I can find more time to write.

A big part of the writing is the research that precedes it. I didn't always understand the research side of writing, but I have certainly gained an appreciate for its importance. I am currently working on three different research projects, they are all related, but a little different. I won’t go into those topics, as I am probably the only one reading this blog who cares. However, it’s the research that I love the most. I certainly enjoy the writing, especially when I see the published project. When I’m writing I experience, what we call in leisure, “flow,” or the complete engagement in the activity which blocks out everything else - what Maslow calls creativity.

The research, however, involves the fun of discovery. I enjoy getting into a project, doing the research, and trying to create something new. Every once in a while we hit on a new topic that sets us off on a new or expanded research project. I frequently read 50 plus research articles just to find the information I need and to build my background knowledge.

The real challenge comes when I start to put the article together. Usually I write a number of long memos on the topic that sometimes exceed the article’s limit by 5,000 to 10,000 words. Even after we get the article written, we rewrite it 6 or more times before it goes to the publisher and then another 1 to 3 times after it gets to the publisher. Yet, when it comes out in print or on-line, I gain a sense of accomplishment. It doesn’t help my humility problem.

I like the challenge of writing a research article, based either on research we completed or the theoretical foundation of the research. As authors, we have a lot of interplay with how the research and writing fit, and what the final product will look like. When you have 2 or more authors it provides more opportunity for insight, but also is challenging to give coherence and continuity to the writing.

When I’m writing a book, and I only do that with other people I know and trust, we spend a lot of time on the outline and then constantly review the chapters we are writing to make sure we are on target and that our outline is being followed. It can be easier to write a book because you don’t have to write as tightly as an article, but you still have to know our audience and write to their level. The last couple of editions of one of my books, I have tried to insert photos of our family, and have been successful. The next edition will have an interesting family photo I will write about, only if it makes it in the book.

If you would have asked me 40 years ago if I was a writer I would have said, “no way.” Yet, after years of practice and refinement I’ve gotten better, but I’ll never write the great American novel, that’s not my style of writing. But I do enjoy the chance to write this blog. It is an outlet that renews me and allows me to get back to my other writing.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Can't imagine reading any textbook that many times!