Thursday, July 15, 2010

Getting Ready Photos

A few years ago I was taking photos of our children in York, UK and as we were trying to get the family organized I realized just how much fun it was to take pictures of getting ready for photos. They are the real family photos when everyone is doing “their thing” rather than the photographer’s thing, which is usually a group shot where everyone is smiling. Early on the family didn’t know what I was doing, but since I put some of these photos up in my home office and on flickr, they all know what I’m doing and watch for it. Usually I get a response of, “Dad is doing it again.” Of course, when they turn out cute, they all like them.

A few of my favorite getting ready photos are below. Unfortunately, I can't find the photo from York, but I'll keep looking. I thought it would be on my flickr account for sure, but it was pre-flicker. Yet, I remembered I have it on the wall of my home office. A quick scan, photoshop cleanup, and presto, it is below. It was taken in York, Yorkshire, UK when the family lived near Harrogate. For this photo we took the train from Harrogate to York and wandered the streets for the day. It was a great adventure.


The second photo involves getting ready for a sister on the UNLV campus. It was our first Las Vegas Sister's Weekend. They humored me that first Las Vegas year and let me show them some sights and take photos. After that I was on my own, but this is such a typical photo of our family.


This is the opposite end of a "getting ready" photo I shot in Breckenridge at our gathering in 2009. We had just finished shooting photos and people were beginning to depart - in some cases - as fast as they could.


Finally, as I was looking for photos for this blog I found a 1986 photo I took in Modesto and it was a pre-getting ready. I didn't even realize I had taken this until tonight. Of course, in the days of 35mm slides I was a lot more conservative about what I took photos of. 


Getting ready, or already done, it doesn't matter, but what it does is add to the fun of photography and especially to the memories.

4 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

Those are some good looking kids in those photos. We were all so young! I love them!

Donna said...

It's fun to see how everyone's changed from the pictures. I love how everyone's interacting to get ready for the pic.

Grandpa said...

You know, Donna, you are right. We are always interacting. That is part of what makes us a family.

sally said...

These photos always make me laugh because we just look so funny getting ready for the picture.