Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Cat's Attention

We have had our cat for over 8 years. She has many names, but she is mostly known as the "devil cat" by the kids and a former veterinarian. She hides when family comes. She runs if someone knocks at the door or the doorbell rings. If we walk in the door (no doorbell or knock) she is at the door. The backyard is her domain. Sometimes the wall along the backyard is her domain and we have to wait for her to come back.

She is very much her own cat. She ignores us unless she wants food, water, or to be petted. She and I have an ongoing battle, which I usually lose. I have scratches on my hands pretty regular just to prove it. Yet, we pretty much know who she is, where she is, and what to expect of her. In other words, our cat is pretty predictable. That is until this morning.

I was setting up the television to record a show for JoAnn. After I did I switched it over to local television and PBS where "Nature" was on. I got hooked pretty quickly and it wasn't long before a she wolf was howling. As I was continuing to watch I look over by the corner of the couch and there sits the cat, totally enthralled by the television. This is a behavior we have never seen from Whisper. As you can see from the photos she was totally enthralled watching the various animals, This went on for over 20 minutes until we had to leave.

4 comments:

Krissie said...

Just so you know, when she was a kitty, she use to watch tv with me. She grew out of it as she became evil. But I know enjoy watching Stella watch tv. Stella is a tv dog, it's funny because she will be sleeping and I will turn on the tv and she will sit up and watch it.

Jeni Allen said...

Looks like you guys need to keep the nature channel on for her while you're gone. Maybe she wouldn't be as mad when you came back!

Student Entrepreneur said...

You are going to be one of 'those' people who turn the tv on for their cat? And how do you get scratches from a declawed cat? Oh yea, her teeth:)!! Love you dad!!

sally said...

They already are those people. Dad keeps music on in their bedroom for the cat when they aren't in the room. Love the new tv.