Sunday, July 19, 2009

To Mall or Not

I was talking to JoAnn this week and she told me how much she enjoyed going to the mall with the daughters while in Boise. I said, we go to malls here, but her response was, "No, we go to stores, but not malls. There aren't many." She is right, there aren't many malls in Las Vegas, but there are lots of outdoor shopping areas where stores are mixed together. The indoor malls are few and far between. In only know of two, and one is on the strip. JoAnn suggested she just missed going to the mall and really enjoyed it.

On Friday on the way home from the Temple I decided I would stop at Meadows Mall, one of our few malls, and give it a try. I walked in through Macys, looked at overpriced clothing that I wouldn't wear anywhere, then walked through miles and miles of cosmetic counters, women who were ready to do makeup (or whatever) and finally out into the mall. I was hungry and thought I would look for the food court. Okay, I'm not what I would call a discriminating eater when I'm hungry. No food court. At least I couldn't find it. Obviously this isn't a real mall.

Undeterred I continued my foray through the mall. JoAnn told me that Dillards had lots of new Fiesta dinner-ware, so I gave it a try. As I walked in the store I was met by those miles and miles of cosmetic counters, women's clothes and no household goods in sight. There was an escalator and I escaped up it only to find more women's clothes. It was an effort to find the down escalator. Thank goodness for signs and arrows. Dillards failed me, now what? Obviously food wasn't going to be part of my mall experience. I decided to just sit down for a few minutes and relax. No seats in the mall! Now I really am beginning to question the wisdom of coming to this mall. There is a child's play area with seats, but that's it and it was a madhouse.

Finally, as I walked back into Macy's I found a seat. Not really a seat but a bench and anyway, I'm done. I'm on my way out, if I can just get through those cosmetic counters one more time.

As I drove away I was thinking to myself, "It's a good thing JoAnn has daughters to go to the mall with, because it's not going to be me." Ask Krissie about the time I took her to the mall in Bloomington. It's definitely NOT a guy thing - at least this guy!

5 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

How funny! I'm pretty sure malls were NEVER your thing. Mom and I spent a few years walking the mall in the early morning hours. I do miss that!

Krissie said...

Walk into the mall to walk around without going into one store is almost criminal!

Student Entrepreneur said...

You must be a guy:)

Grandpa said...

I knew that post would bring back old memories.

Donna said...

There's a reason we don't take you to malls with us!