Friday, May 15, 2009

Sister's Weekend Has Officially Started

Although all of the girls arrived in Las Vegas for sister's weekend yesterday afternoon and evening, I discovered on the way to taking Suzanne & Sally to the Boise airport that sister's weekend officially begins when a husband calls with a question. At least they tell me that's how they know when sister's weekend begins. I didn't know that, but it seems reasonable since they think we are all incompetent anyway. And that's probably not far from the truth.

Yet, as I thought about it, doesn't it also work the other way? Now mind you, I'm not calling JoAnn incompetent, because she is far from it, but read the following 2 emails. I really think that Sister's weekend started on Wednesday evening a full 14 plus hours before anyone arrived in Las Vegas.

"Well, it's late and I went to set the alarm on the bedroom clock for tomorrow. It is flashing now and I can't figure out how to stop the flashing. I tried lots of ways and it is still flashing. I'm sure it easy, but I can't figure it out right now." In JoAnn's defense, the clock is older than any of our grandchildren. Read on, "I have a dr. appointment at 9 a.m. this morning. It is late and I might not wake up early enough. Please call me about 7 a.m. if you see this email in time. I need to leave here about 8:30 a.m."

I did call, but not because I saw the email. I never call before 8 am (I'm usually well one by then) and Thursday was no exception. The second email, however, redeemed JoAnn and put her back in the ranks of effectiveness.

"I'm up and going. It's 7 a.m. I remembered the clock in the guest bedroom last night after emailing you, so I have it in our room. I'm still not sure what happened to our clock. It is just old and can't stop blinking." JoAnn has become resourceful over the years, but still, I think this counts as the official start of Sister's Weekend. And yes, I will pay for this, but it may be worth it.

1 comment:

Jeni Allen said...

Where do you think all of us girls get it from? We're not IT people. Just think how bad Suzanne will be at mom's age!!!! It could be so much worse!