Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

It's that wonderful time of the year again when we get to recognize our mothers for all they have done for us. When you are little it's about drawing photos, going out with dad to buy a gift, and helping make breakfast for mom. As you grow through your teenage years it becomes a little more difficult. We still appreciate our mother, but we begin to see her in a different light. Then we leave home for college, military, work, marriage and discover a whole world out there where other moms just didn't measure up to our mom. Then, if we males are fortunate, we marry a wonderful woman and the word mother brings on a whole new meaning as we begin to have little ones arrive. (Off the the right is JoAnn and Donna, 1970)

I think I have lived long enough now to meet many wonderful mothers, but none have been better than my mother and my wife. I add to that list our daughters and daughter-in-law who are mothers or someday will be. Of course the list is not complete without my sisters, sister-in-law, Aunt Marge and Grandma Ruby.

The memories and good and they are many. Even in our times of trials, and they have been few, but sometimes intense, mom has been there and when I say mom I include all of our family, not just JoAnn.

I have posted some photos below that share some of the experiences and feelings of watching my wife, family, and loved ones. It was impossible to include everyone, so please view and enjoy.

JoAnn with Danny and Ellen in Boise

Sally, Chas, Calvin, & JoAnn - It was our last photo with Calvin

JoAnn, Joshua (the only time he didn't smile) and me

JoAnn & Alyssa at a rest stop in western Colorado on our move to Las Vegas

JoAnn & Krissie on the ferry to the Outer Banks of North Carolina

The Longcor Clan, 1989

The McLean Clan in Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1981

My Mother and her Mother (Jean & Eura) in Arizona, c. 1970

Jeni, Grandma McLean, JoAnn, Donna, Modesto, CA, 1973

From the heart of a mother and grandmother - It says it all.

There is peace for a Mother. Taken in Bruge, Belgium.

5 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

Happy Mother's day Mom! Thank you for the great example you are to me and my family! I love you!! (You too Dad!)

Tim said...

I love the pictures. Happy Mother's Day!

Krissie said...

I love the pictures also. Happy Mothers Day to the best mom and dad, who have been their for us in so many ways.

Jeni Allen said...

Dad, you sould have invented the 'blog'. You're absolutely perfect at them. This is so nice. I love it. I think at the end of every year you should publish with real paper and ink and gift us all a copy! I love YOu!

sally said...

Those are some great photos dad. I'm glad you & Mom had a wonderful Mother's Day.