Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Holding Them For the First Time


One of the great pleasures of being a grandpa is holding your grandchild for the first time. I never, and I mean never, tire of that first contact. Come to think of it. I don't tire of the 2nd through the 2,000th contact either. But it's that first time when I get to hold them, regardless of how old they are, that is special. For a grandpa that is a bonding moment. That new little life creates special feelings about being a parent and grandparent. My/our children created that same feeling. It is a moment to be cherished forever. It's another miracle and a miracle of miracles. What a joy. It's the last time they will be new to me. They will still be special - in fact they will always be special - but it's that first moment when you get to hold them, look at the beautiful (at least beautiful to me) face. Grandpa's live for this first experience - just as Dad's do. The sense of wonder of life, of the blessings (and challenges) to come. But at this moment all is perfect, all is whole, all is eternal. I am thankful for grandchildren and the reminder of renewal they bring to our lives.

No comments: