Thursday, January 6, 2011

There's oatmeal, then there is OATMEAL!

Motivated by my latest visit to my doctor I'm moving towards a higher fiber diet. Tuesday when I got up, finished my exercises, watched the snow fall, dawdled, and realized there was no movement from the bedroom I decided to make myself oatmeal. How hard can it be? Water... oatmeal... salt... brown sugar... and milk. I followed the directions to the letter - boiled the water, stirred in the oatmeal (1/2 cup), cooked for 5 minutes ... then a little longer, added the brown sugar and milk (yes, I added the salt). Somehow it didn't look the same as when JoAnn does it. Granted, I've never watched her - in fact I made an effort not to watch. I like it when it just appears in front of me. It's sort of like finding clean clothes - not sure where they come from, but when I get up in the morning there they are.

By the time I got through my yummy (and a little lumpy) oatmeal and was about ready to leave my spouse was up and ready for a little oatmeal. I thought I would watch and see what she does different. The water and oatmeal went in together - not at all what the directions say - and were brought to a boil, then simmered for 3 minutes, added a pinch of salt .... At this point I couldn't take it any more. I asked, "Don't you follow the directions?" The response was, "I've always done it this way." I knew instantly I was clearly out of my depth. However, all is not lost. At some point I will be ready to cook oatmeal again - maybe the next time it snows in Las Vegas - and I will have been taught by the expert.

It just goes to prove that there is oatmeal, then there is OATMEAL! And everyone know which one I make.

6 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

So are all men like you? Do they really think clean clothes magically appear and lunches make themselves and oatmeal is just perfect by chance? I think so. I'm glad you got a little lesson on making oatmeal. You should watch next time she makes something really yummy so you can repeat it and surprise her. She'd be tickled! In fact I can think of no sweeter gift!

Grandpa said...

I can make chocolate chip cookies. What else is there that needs to be made? By the way, we do my lunch together.

Donna said...

Glad you learned how to make oatmeal. You can also make it in the microwave. Nuke it at 40% for 5-6 minutes. Or you can crockpot it too: 1 part water to 3 parts water, cook on low overnight. I like it this way cuz I don't have to think about it in the morning. The best way to make it is in cookies tho. Congrats on your first oatmeal!

quilts and quirks said...

You make me laugh in your blogs. I just got tired of waiting for the water to boil to add the oatmeal. It seems to work adding both at first.

sally said...

I've never even thought of using the stove top for oatmeal. It always goes into the microwave. I do like oatmeal with a lot of brown sugar (but nothing like the amount Donna uses).

Student Entrepreneur said...

Too funny!