Monday, January 3, 2011

Good Morning Las Vegas! It must be January...

One thing consistent about Las Vegas is its weather: Sunny, warm, and dry. Well, that's usually the case, but this winter it has been wet and cloudy. We keep thinking we could live in Indiana and it would be no different - except of course for the snow. That was before this morning. I was out late (around 6 am) for my morning walk and as I left I noticed a skiff of snow on the roof of my car. By the time I got home it had started snowing and they were big wet drops.


The cat and I went out back to investigate and take a photo. I loved it, but the cat decided she had seen enough and couldn't wait to get back inside. To make it a real snowstorm, however, you need school closing, road closings and lots of accidents. Pharump, about 60 miles from here has closed their schools and the highway west out of Las Vegas is closed as well as a portion of the beltway near our home. And accidents - wholly cow - they are everywhere. You would think these folks had never seen snow before.

I finally thought it was time to get JoAnn up so she could see the snow and we took this photo from the kitchen window.


Now we realize for you northerners and easterners this doesn't hardly count, but come on, every 700 or so days we get one of these and we really don't know what to do with it. The TV announcer suggested everyone keep 5 to 8 car lengths apart. We looked at each other and asked, "What planet is he from?" When you are in a community that can barely handle rain, snow is a disaster of biblical proportions.

Oh yes, I'm working from my home desk today. I'm not venturing out on the roads with all of those fools ... at least not for a while.

6 comments:

Donna said...

I wish we had a snow day every time it snowed like that!

quilts and quirks said...

What a gorgeous day to start the first week of January 2011. I saw the snow coming down and it was beautiful. It's mid-morning and the snow is melting fast. Las Vegas didn't have a snow day, just car accidents.

sally said...

You make me laugh. I'm glad you got some snow, it's about time.

Lonita said...

Wow - you actually have more snow than we do right now!

Student Entrepreneur said...

I am so glad that we didn't pick Vegas to come to for our Anniversary:)

Krissie said...

Lucky! We still haven't even gotten that much snow here this winter! I'm scared it's going to hit the week we are moving!