Sunday, January 16, 2011

Happy Birthday Jennifer



Jennifer. On this your 39th birthday I thought I would begin something different. I would find key moments in the lives of our children and talk about them on their birthday. It seems such an appropriate time to do so, and while you are not the first child, you are the first birthday every year. This year I thought I would focus on your mission. I have been busy reading your mission letters home and I have carefully culled them to select some wonderful moments. Happy Birthday Daughter - We Love You!

"Dear Brother and Sister McLean. We are pleased to inform you that your daughter has arrived safely in the Italy Rome Mission. We are so thankful for her and her decision to serve the Lord as a full-time missionary. President R. H. Favero." (4/13/1993)

"I've been transferred .... My district leader said I've brought this district together so quick. He is sad I'm going, but I've done my work here and now it is time to move on." (11/2/1993)

"Rome is huge! Friday night we were looking for an inactive family. We rode the bus for an hour. It finally came to the end of the line. We thought it would go further. We got out and waited 15 minutes for the next bus, rode it for a long time and still didn't get to the family's home. It was 9 pm and we had to turn around and go home." (11/16/1993)

And then her boyfriend ditched her... "I got the nicest letter from Suzanne yesterday. Actually, it was a little package - A get happy package. This is what she put in it: 1) 2 dark red rose petals. They are from the rose Mom gave me for my 16th birthday; 2) The LOVE painted wood piece I did one year at Girl's camp. I just wanted you to know how much I love you; 3) Ribbon and a rose from Donna's wedding. It symbolizes forever! Things can last forever; 4) The Jack's country dancing coupon. I've been country dancing and listen to country music sometimes. That is a happy memory; 5) Yellow conference schedule. It reminds me how important Church is to me and that it should be #1 in my life; 6) The doll means to me peace and love; 7) The colored picture of the trains side by side means the Lord is with you always, if you let him; 8) The tape which is church based so I can listen to it. This tape of friends helps me to be at ease with myself and the world and reminds me of you." (1/12/1994)


To Dad, “You’ve always sent so many beautiful cards. I finally found one that I like enough to send to you! I don’t tell you often enough how much I love you. Remember when we were younger and after we prayed you’d have us all tell one another that we loved them: 'I love you Dad! I love you Mom! I love you Donna!...' What a beautiful thing that was. What a great principle it taught. LOVE! Love is such a neat thing. It breaks all barriers. I’ve found so many people on my mission that had a need for love. When I gave them my love - they changed! People do that when you love them. It fives me such a sense of belonging. They feel loved. Thanks so much for instilling that principle in me. I’ll be eternally grateful. Hopefully I will be able to pass it on to my kids! :-)” (3/15/1994) [I think she has passed it on to her kids - DDM]

"I'm doing good here in Cagliari (CALYERI). That's for you Dad." (5/19/1994)

"Dear Brother and Sister McLean. It is my pleasure to extend an honorable release to your daughter who has successfully completed her mission in the Italy Rome Mission. She has served well and touched for good the lives of many of the wonderful people of Italy. Her influence will long be felt here.” (7/15/1994)

5 comments:

quilts and quirks said...

What a sweet post for a sweet lady. And I do believe you possess and give freely that LOVE to all you meet. Happy Birthday jeni.

sally said...

Happy Birthday Jeni! That was really amazing going on a mission to Italy! I'm so glad you had that wonderful experience. Now you & Craig just need to make it back for the dedication of the Rome, Italy temple.

Jeni Allen said...

Thanks dad, that is so sweet. It brought tears to my eyes! I totally remember that package Suzanne sent, it really did make me happy. I still have the little box somewhere. Probably in my mission stuff. I love you dad.

Krissie said...

Such a good post dad! I love learning things about my siblings and family because you can never know to much!

Student Entrepreneur said...

Happy Birthday Jeni!! I love what you are going to do this year dad! And I don't remember the things I put in the package - but I do remember sending one to Jeni hoping it would cheer herup!!