Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving at the 4-H Camp

Close to the 4-H Camp and the right season.

While we were living in Ames, Iowa in the late 1970s and early 1980s I became pretty good friends with the Iowa State University 4-H Camp Director. He was a graduate of our program at ISU and I periodically took classes out to the camp for field trips. One year during Thanksgiving break he suggested that we “camp-sit” while he was out of town. We thought about it for a few minutes and decided what a great experience it would be. Thanksgiving at a camp in a large cabin and while not necessarily rustic, it was older and had a certain flavor to it. We had a full kitchen, more bedrooms than we knew what to do with, several hundred acres to run around on, no telephone (this was pre-cell phone days by a long time), and a chance just to be together.

Everyone was excited. We made a list of everything we needed to take, including a television (none were there and we did like some amenities - this was also pre-cable), a rug for the floor, bedding, books, food, and on and on. As you might guess, the list got quite long and before it was finished I found myself making 2 trips out to the 4-H Camp. One to take everything we needed and another to bring the family. We had an 8 passenger station wagon, which we filled. It was about 40 minutes each way to the camp and most of the time the weather was okay. It was an Iowa fall, so that meant it was cold and the chance of snow and ice was always imminent. We had 4 children, and maybe Mike (but we can’t remember - that’s a function of aging) who went with us to the camp.

It was a great time of running around outdoors, watching Thanksgiving specials on television, watching movies on the video recorder, playing games, eating - all in front of a roaring fireplace. It was about being a family. We would usually stay 3 or 4 days and have a great time. For JoAnn and I it was a special Thanksgiving with our family. We did this for 3 or 4 years in a row and had a great experience each Thanksgiving.

As I think about my memories of Thanksgiving I have many, others I will share next year and beyond, but our time at the 4-H Camp was special for us and most of the kids remember it with fondness. It was different, it was just us, and we bonded. For most of the years the children were growing our family lived far away from relatives and so almost every winter holiday were immediate family affairs, absent from the extended family.

Thanksgiving with the McLean family in Idaho. The whole family was together
for this Thanksgiving. The photo is the right season, even if not the 4-H Camp
Since we moved west our holiday seasons have changed. We have the Bradley’s with us in Las Vegas, the Dunn’s are in Sacramento, the Hansen’s & Bake’s are together in Idaho, the Allen’s are with friends in Colorado and holding together our old tradition of family time, and the McLean boys are together in Iowa. We may be spread out, but we still like to get together as often as possible, it’s just more difficult to do it in the winter. What we lose in being together we make up in blogs, phone calls, and photos. Even though we are apart we are together in spirit and love.

6 comments:

sally said...

I believe that you had 5 kids and maybe Mike. I was probably the baby. I do remember having a lot of fun at the cabin.

Lonita said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like a fun tradition you had going for a few years there. Looking forward to seeing you guys at Christmas!

Tim said...

I remember playing with my army men on the tile floor and going for a walk and hearing and feeling the frost laid grass under my feet.

Jeni Allen said...

I really loved those Thanksgivings. Even if the tree branches cast very scary shadows. VERY SCARY SHADOWS! My favorite memory I have is the record player. Donna and I and maybe Suzanne shared a room and danced and sang to the "Sound of Music". Our favorite song? "These are a few of my favorite things".

Donna said...

I remember seeing creepy red eyes outside the cabin one night as I was trying to go to sleep. Scared the living tar out of me. Other than that it was a lot of fun. I also liked the graffiti in the closet "Paul peed this high!"

Student Entrepreneur said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I LOVED going to the cabin!! So many memories!!