Monday, November 1, 2010

Building our Heritage

Mom as a young girl skiing.
Twenty-five years ago in December, my mother died from complications of cancer treatment. I have thought of her often over those years and over the last few months I felt a need to introduce her to a generation of grandchildren and great grandchildren who never knew her very well or not at all. Donna, our oldest, was just 15 when Mom died. Krissie, our youngest. was just a few days past her first birthday. Since we lived in the midwest and Mom and Dad lived in California we only got to see them every couple of years. They would usually get to see us on an annual basis, thankfully. Our older children have dim memories of Mom and our younger children have none at all.
From the 1980 Family Reunion

So I've contacted family members and asked them to put on their thinking caps and provide stories and photos of Mom. I'm focusing less on a biography than on capturing the essence of who she was and why she was so important to all of us. My youngest sister Marti was only 24 when Mom died and she said she was so jealous of the rest of us because we had Mom for so much longer. As I've watched my daughters bond with their Mother I really do understand that. My Mom had a significant impact on all of our lives and contributed to our heritage. I want my children and their children, and on, to know about that heritage. Waiting 25 years may have seemed too long, but everyone I've talked to is excited about it and the time is right.

Some of the collected stories and photos will appear in this blog. My goal is to have the book ready to publish by Mom's birthday in late March. That is pretty ambitious, but I think we can be close.

4 comments:

Krissie said...

I'm so excited, I really want to know my grandma and be able to tell these stories to my children when we have them.

sally said...

Krissie is right, this is very exciting. My favorite memory of Grandma was when we visited California one year. I was in between first and second grade I believe. I remember going to Grandma's (location unknown) and she told me to pick out two pieces of fabric from a box. This box was full of fabric. I went to watch TV after I pulled out the fabric. Grandma went to work and had two tops done in no time flat. I remember wearing the tops till Mom demanded I know wear them anymore (I was getting to big). Now that I sew for my kids I'm amazed at her ability to sew well and quickly too.

Student Entrepreneur said...

I remember that 1980 reunion! We gave Grandma and Grandpa a quilt. We all had a family color shirt - ours was orange if I remember right.

And was that the summer that Aunt Marti got married? Funny thing - I remember that she gave us little candy bars (probably to keep us happy) and I thought that was just the coolest thing!!

Jeni Allen said...

I'd have to say one of my two strongest memories of Grandma was when she took up to Living History Farms. We were all in the restroom and one of the toilets was running. She took off the top and fixed it. Then she said to me, "There, I did my good dead for the day!". There are lots, like Sally, I love the fabric chest. It came in fabric and left clothes!