Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Glass is Half Full, Half Empty, or All Over Me...

When I was a child we traveled for holidays and summer vacations. As our family got older most of that travel occurred in an International Harvester Travelall (the equivalent of today's Suburban). We could spread all over the car (seat belts were just beginning to be introduced and not many cars had them), romp, roam, occasionally get yelled at (and yes, we usually deserved it). I was usually the one who got in the most trouble and times have not changed a whole lot.
Not our Traveall, but it sure brings fond memories. JoAnn and I drove it to Oklahoma
with Donna & Jeni for the 3 months we spent at Fort Sill. We pulled a U-Haul trailer
with it for our household goods. That is another story. This is what I learned to drive on!
photo courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevincollins/4842741366/
One summer we were driving across the desert from Arizona to California. We did not have air conditioning in our car, so it was very hot. We had the thermos for water and that kept us hydrated. We were coming in to Yuma, AZ on this afternoon and I made a comment that was not well received by my mother. I did a lot of that. She had just poured herself a glass of ice-cold water. She turned, looked at me, said something that I don't remember, and threw the glass of water in my face. Everyone was stunned until they realized I was the only cool person in the car at that moment. We started to laugh and laugh. The tension eased, I was cool, and the drive went on.

3 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

Is that where you got your waking up technique from??? I always wondered if you were mean enough to come up with it by yourself. But now we know, it's Grandma McLean's fault. I'll have to have a chat with her when I go up with her! Funny lady!

Student Entrepreneur said...

I love the car!!

Donna said...

That's pretty funny! Glad I got to ride in one of those cars back when I was too little to remember.