Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cupcake Stories

Twice a month on Monday evening we meet with several of our friends for Family Home Evening (FHE). Since the children have left home and have FHE with their children, our FHEs have become a little more erratic. Having friends get together allows us to enjoy our company, teach, talk, have fun, and celebrate life. One of the more popular activities are the treats which always come at the end. It's like a reward for being good. It was the most popular part of our FHEs when the children were home. This group really likes McLean frosting. In fact, one of our group said we were welcome to visit him any time as long as we brought a cake with McLean frosting. He has a summer home in the Arizona mountains.

Last night JoAnn made cupcakes that were really good. One of our friends was celebrating his birthday and JoAnn called his wife to discover his favorite cake. We had a devils food cake, that was oh so moist, and THE frosting. He had seconds. Come to think of it, all 3 men had seconds and none of the women.

As we were sitting around talking I mentioned that when I was a child my mother would make cupcakes for our lunches. I explained that she would take the cupcake apart, put the frosting in the middle, put it back together again and then freeze it. The whole idea around freezing it was so that it would still be fresh for lunch. The reality is that it rarely made it to lunch. Most of the time I would eat it within minutes of when I got on the bus. I don't think anything is better than a cold chocolate cupcake with frozen white frosting in the middle. My mouth is watering for one right now.

A couple of our friends were intrigued by the whole idea, but I've come to realize we all have those kinds of stories to tell about growing up. I like to think our cupcake stories are stories we all need to remember. Do you have a cupcake story?

6 comments:

Donna said...

I'm gonna have to try that!

Lonita said...

I always remember being astounded as a kid when kids would bring cupcakes with a filling in the middle - how did they get that inside? Tim and I are big on cookies right out of the freezer (Joshua has happily adopted that quirk as well, last week stealing bites of mine and then running to the kitchen for "More cookies.")

sally said...

I love frosting in the middle and on the top. My favorite cup cakes are the ones I get at Donna's house, they are just so yummy.

Grandpa said...

LonitA, mom thinks I'm crazy, but there is nothing better than frozen chocolate chip cookies. And no, I've not broken a tooth yet!

Lonita said...

Totally with you on the frozen chocolate chip cookies - stop on over, they're in our freezer. :-) But they probably won't be for long...

Krissie said...

Ummm, I might have to try that way of putting filling in my cupcakes. I do it a different way. I sure do love cupcakes and are making some for a baby shower next weekend!