Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Quilting Grandma

I've thought about this post for a long time and now that I'm flat on my back I've got time to write it. JoAnn is busy on quilting projects for our family. She loves to quilt and I enjoy watching her look for just the right pattern and then her creativity comes into bloom as she takes the pattern and changes it to fit what she wants to do. I've watched her do it so many times it has become second nature to her and to me. Yet, this week as I watched her go through literally dozens of quilt magazines looking for the just right pattern I was amazed a her ability to put it all together. She even asks my advice on colors sometimes. I always give it, but I'm never quite sure how helpful it might be. She listens politely, brings more material out, we look at it again, and finally she arrives at the colors and patterns that she knows will work for that person.

Right now she has moved from the quilting room to what I call the quilting annex, which is the dining room table. Since we never eat in there I think it is a great location. You can see from the photo below she has it all set up for her work. I've never noticed the ironing board down low before and right next to the table, but it seems to work. She is working on small blocks.



Quilting keeps JoAnn busy, requires her mind to be thinking, and she knows she is making something that will be well received. What more can you ask than that. It is the best mental health activity I think she can do. And the rewards are great. I remember when she made blankets for a family that had triplets. They weren't supposed to know where the blankets came from, but they knew and thanked JoAnn for it. Seeing someone smile when they get that quilt is awfully special.


Regardless of age. . .

5 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

And we ALL LOVE her quiilts!!

Jeni Allen said...

I made that orange quilt! But it sure is cute if I do say so myself! Quilting is awesome and Mom is perfect at it!

Grandpa said...

I just photos up. I don't care who made the quilt. Mom didn't catch it either.

sally said...

I just love Mom's quilt. We love the orange quilt Jeni sent us when Chas was born. I love love love Mom's quilt

Krissie said...

I love mom's quilts, everyone always asks who makes my quilts and wall hangings (as I keep both of my quilts on the back of my couch for easy access when I get cold). Everyone LOVES them!