Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Century of Scouting

I've been aware for a period of time that it is the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. That's pretty amazing for a youth organization. What's even more incredible, for me, is that for over 50 of those years I've either been involved in scouting or close to it. I was a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Explorer. We didn't have Venture Scouts until I was an adult, not Tiger Cubs. I've served as a Cubmaster (Ventura, CA), Assistant Scoutmaster (Lawton, OK, Cedar Rapids, IA, & Bloomington, IN), a Webloes Den Leader (Cedar Rapids, IA), 11-year old Scout leader (Bloomington, IN), and a Commissioner (Cedar Rapids, IA & Bloomington, IN). Today JoAnn serves as a Wolf Den Leader. Our son-in-laws and daughters have served and continue to serve in a variety of capacities.

I was going through my patches (see below) and realized that over those 50 plus years I still had my 50-year camporee patch from Abilene, Texas (I was 14), my 75 year Chartered Partner patch, bolo tie, and district patch from Cedar Rapids, IA (you can figure my age out) and now the 100th Anniversary patch from Las Vegas. I almost forgot the LDS Church's 75th anniversary celebration, also while we lived in Cedar Rapids. In all that time I can still recite the Scout law and oath as they appeared in my 1952 Scout Handbook. It has impacted my life, and that of our children, and now grandchildren, in very positive ways. Now, if I'm fortunate I will also be able to achieve the 125 year patch to add to my collection.





3 comments:

quilts and quirks said...

That's a cool history. Congratulations. Boy Scouts are always around us, hopefully helping.

sally said...

I love all the different patches.

Donna said...

That's pretty cool. Love the patches, they are fun to collect