Sunday, April 18, 2010

Dad Is 90 Today (yesterday by the time I got this blogged)

My dad is 90-years old today. It is a major milestone. What's more he is in moderately good health - he can get around, still drives, and loves to be with his daughters, who all live close. JoAnn and I debated coming to the celebration since it is an 8 hour drive and we have to be in another city on Sunday. However, weAlign Left had no compelling argument for not coming and so many compelling arguments for being where we belonged. So, at 4 AM this morning we left Las Vegas drove southwest to Barstow and then over the Techappi mountains to Bakersfield and north to Modesto. We arrived in time to surprise Dad - and surprised he was. He had no idea we would be here.

There is nothing better than a lemon cake - at least according to Dad!

One of the great blessings of moving west 3 years ago is the opportunity we have to see our children, my sisters and their families, and my dad and his wife on a more regular basis. It means a lot to us to have the opportunity to see all of them. We have reduced the 2 to 3 day drive time from Indiana to not more than 12 hours. The end result is our ability to spend more quality time with each family. Okay, we still have family in the midwest and may soon have 2 families back there, so our travels east are not over.

You realize of course it is not an official McLean function without food!

I never thought I would see my Dad turn 90, much less that I would be 64. I recognize the influence he has had on my life over those years. I think over the last 15 years I have come to appreciate that influence more and more. All too often we don't apprecite those we love until they have passed, in part because we need to see our own famliies grow in order to truly appreciate the impact our parents have on us. I wish my mother could have lived to see how all of our families have grown, although I know she knows.

We had a light lunch, games of dominos, lemon and chocolate cakes, and more dominos. I also found time for a nap. Even at 90 my Dad is still sharp enough to beat us at dominos and cribbage.

Enjoy the photos from today. There will be more on flickr later.

Dad & Marti looking over the birthday cards.

Checkers & cribbage is the official family game.

Dad & Linzie enjoying the moment.

2 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

Wow, that looks great! He does look fantastic for being 90! Looks like everybody had a great time. Wish we could have been there!

sally said...

That looks like a wonderful party. The cake sounds good too. I can't believe Grandpa is 90.