Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Cake Making Family

I was reading Krissie's blog last week about making cakes and how much she loved it. While she may know she comes from a cake baking family, she may not know how much cake baking has gone on. Just recently I was going through old photos and found several photos of cakes, some not so old, but relevant. I thought it would be nice if our daughters (all 7 of them) could see the genealogy of cake making in the McLean family. Grandma McLean (my mother) did wonderful cakes. The first was from 1956 and our Cub Scout Den. It is as good or better than you can purhase in a store today. I suspect this cake was done while we lived in Guam.


The next two cakes done by my mother are just a little more fancy. The first is for our wedding in 1967 and the second is for Grandma and Grandpa Merriam's 50th wedding anniversary, also in 1967. That may be why the cakes look similar. The anniversary came before the wedding by 2 months and several thousand miles.


And then we get to the our generation. JoAnn has made a number of cakes. You saw one on Sally's birthday blog of the Pink Panther, but in 1983 she did a birthday cake for the Young Women at Church. The color is a little off. My flash was obviously not working, but the cake is beautiful. I think this may be the best cake JoAnn has done. I think we still have all of the pieces in the garage, not to mention many other cake pans. Come Sister's Weekend we may have to auction off (obviously not for cash) some of our old cake pans, pillars, support plates, and so forth.


And the cakes have kept coming over the years, although not nearly so frequently since the kids are gone. Sally and JoAnn worked together last fall to make Bonnie a Barbie cake. It turned out really well as you can see from the photos. I remember my mother making Barbie cakes for my sisters. We take some skills and experiences for granted, but the photos of those experiences to bring memories.


Tell me Bonnie is not absolutely entranced by her Barbie Princess cake!

So Krissie, you are a 3rd generation cake decorator and you and your sisters should be proud of that.

6 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

That is so cool!! I need to take a class and become a better cake maker - or at least the frosting part!!

Donna said...

I love making cakes and cupcakes. It is just fun!

Jeni Allen said...

I think the cake she made for my wedding was the best! Who doesn't love cake, not only are they beautiful, but the taste, oh so good!

Lonita said...

Wow, what beautiful cakes - and it looks like they all meet the McLean requirements for lots of buttercream frosting!

sally said...

I love the cub scout cake. Krissie I expect a totally yummy decorated cake at sister weekend and agree with Lonita. Lots and Lots of buttercream frosting please!

Krissie said...

Umm, cake! Those cakes were totally beautiful! I called mom this weekend telling her all these fun items I bought this weekend for my next cake. I'm making a big cake for a baby shower! I'm so excited! And yes, always lots of buttercream frosting!