Sunday, September 27, 2009

Who Let her Grow Up?

One of the great mysteries of fathers is how their cute daughters can grow up, mature, marry, and have children. However, much as we resist it, we somehow adjust to all of those changes when the grandchildren start showing up, especially granddaughters. You know everything will be okay again, because there is another generation of little girls. In my mind I was sure these girls would never grow up. That is until now. I received the following picture yesterday from our 2nd daughter, Jeni, and it is of our oldest granddaughter on her way to a 6-stake dance (that's a church dance with hundreds of youth and you have to be 14).

I received the photo yesterday evening, took one look at Alyssa (on the left) and thought to myself, this can't be happening again. And yet it is. Grandpa's are inherently selfish when it comes to daughters and granddaughters. We love them at any age, but we remember all the sweetness of being young and while the sweetness doesn't go away, it's harder to hold them close and cuddle them. Of course, it's not like this grandpa doesn't have plenty of little girls to hug and sometimes hold, he does, but they too, all too soon become independent and while Grandpa (and of course Grandma) is still important in their lives, it's just not the same. And that is as it should be. We love them at all ages and enjoy, often vicariously, their experiences.

It's great being a Grandpa and watching your grandchildren grow up, being part of their lives, and just watching each family mature spiritually and physically. It leaves a warm glow at the end of the day.

5 comments:

sally said...

Yeah it's tough seeing Alyssa get so old. I still remember her birth like it was last week.

Donna said...

It's hard seeing the kids grow up, but at the same time so rewarding.

Jeni Allen said...

Funny that, I still remember her birth like yesterday too! ;) No, she is so cute. I couldn't ask for a better daughter. She's just GOOD. Hopefully I'll get repeat results with the rest!

Krissie said...

I was saying to David just the other day, my little girl grew up! I can't believe how big she is getting (and all of them), but it is so rewarding as they grow up to see them make the right choices and wanting to make them.

quilts and quirks said...

I remember sending you girls with Dad to the dances. He was involved with the Leadership. Then, I started going, being in the leadership myself. Now our boys and girls are grown and they are starting to send their children to the youth dances. Hard to believe it's their turn. Time flies when you're both looking and not looking. Our GRANDCHILDREN are all so good.