Saturday, September 19, 2009

Notes, Thoughts, and Mostly Ramblings

It has been a busy start to the fall semester. I feel like I've been behind since the day classes started. We have already completed week 4 - now over 25% complete - and it was the first week I was actually at work for 5 days. Between holidays and family events it has been busy.

Some random (emphasis on random) thoughts I have had over the last few days/weeks that have little or no meaning, but then again. . . .
  • We are about to see the beginning of fall in Las Vegas. That means the "dog days of summer" are almost over (see photo below). If we can put 5 days together without reaching 100 degrees then I think we will officially be in fall. We are still looking forward to the day we can keep our windows open for several nights, not just one now and then.
  • I've noticed that we are anxious to get past summer the way we used to be anxious to get past winter. Now winter is just a diversion from summer.
  • On the positive side, we did not turn our furnace on last year until almost mid-December.
  • Even in Las Vegas if I wash my car it rains. Of course a rain here may only cover 2 or 3 square blocks, but my car always seems to be in that zone.
  • Ever notice how your phone rings all week long (our's does) and on the weekend no one calls because they are busy with family or football games or whatever?
  • My daughters write their blogs all week, I write mine on weekends. If I write during the week it's a clear indication I've found some free time.
  • It doesn't matter how much quilting material JoAnn has, she seems to need a little more. In fact today she was cleaning out her closet to make room for her new material. Plus she purchased more storage containers to put the material in. That's okay, I love her.
  • She could say the same thing about me purchasing art prints, or shirts, or shoes, or ... well you get the idea.
  • We are now allowed to water only 3 days a week (September & October) and it must be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Imagine my surprise as I was sitting at the kitchen table and I heard the watering system (we use a drip line) come on this morning (Saturday). All I could see was a big fine if the water authority caught me. I ran to the garage and sure enough the "watering brain" thought it was Wednesday.
That's really about enough for now, since not much of it made sense, but gave me a chance to dodge doing work I really should be doing.

I took this photo at a scooter rally the Bradley's came down for. It speaks well for the "dog days of summer" and how we should just embrace the experience.

2 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

I love the ramblings - not just me is writing them!! I try to call on the weekends - but you two never seem to be home:) Must be nice to be kid free:) I would have even ANYTHING to be kid free today - from ALL FIVE of them!! Love you!!

Jeni Allen said...

I love the water brain. You know the water police would be driving by the house right about the time they turned on. They'd think when you turned it off that you noticed them, just like when you brake when you see the police. Got this fun video going on in my head right now!