Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spring is in the air...

In Las Vegas spring has been in the air for almost 3 months now and we have had some great weather, but it is finally sitting on the back patio on Sunday afternoon weather. That's when you know spring has really arrived. If we measure it by spring flowers we are 2 months into spring. If we measure it be temperature we are 6 weeks into spring. If we measure it by patio weather, we are right on target.

After a light lunch JoAnn and I adjourned to the back patio to relax. I had a paper to edit and she had a book she is committed to finish before sisters' weekend. I realized this was a great photo opportunity, so I went in pulled out my trusty tripod, set it up, made sure it was level, attached the camera, and then said, "How do I set the timer?" I do it so often! I looked at the multitude of buttons, screen options, and the like and finally found a button on the front side of the camera body that looked like a timer button. I pushed it and on the screen came up "self-timer shooting." Good, I have it, but nothing happened. Maybe I need to push the shutter button (okay, shutter button definitely relates to my age). I tried the shutter button, a beeping started and I figured I had 10 seconds to make it to my chair, sit down, and look natural. Of course I forgot, I also had to smile. A few photos and sprints to the chair later we had a couple of good photos (or marginally so).

I call this the reluctant guest - very teenish, if you have teens you know what I mean.

Then I went and got the cat. She had been roaming around the edges of the shooting. Put her in my lap, next to JoAnn and made a shot. Try holding a cat and setting the camera for a time shoot at the same time. We were good for 1 shot only. She climbed up on the table wandered around and then plopped herself down right in front of the camera and stared at it. Well, if that isn't a natural shot, I don't know what is. I rush over to the camera, start the timer and then rush back. She looks at the camera, listens to the beeps, and then, just before the camera shoots, she turns her head, or stretches out, or changes position. I tried this about 5 times and the same result each time. As long as the camera was quiet or beeping she would look at it, but the moment the beeping stopped and it was ready to shoot, she turned away. I finally gave up and just took a couple of shots before she realized what I did. She is our teenager and almost as obnoxious as a real teen.

Who do you think is in charge?

It's great to have a spring day and a Sunday afternoon to enjoy it. We hope your spring days are all bright and beautiful.

5 comments:

Krissie said...

Whisper actually looks like a loving cat!!! I know she is when all us "teenagers" aren't around to harass her! I'm glad you had good back patio sitting weather today!

Lonita said...

Funny, our 7-month-old exhibits the same photoshoot behavior as Whisper...

Jeni Allen said...

Whisper seems to ack more natural and smile better than my teenager. Hmmmmm, kinda sad huh! Looks like you guys had a great day!

Student Entrepreneur said...

Yes mom, hurry on that book:) Love you both! Great weather!

sally said...

I really like that picture of you and mom. It really captures you two just relaxing and it's always how I like to think of both of you. Although if I'm on the phone with you I know you're pacing - a habit I think Donna and I picked up.