Sunday, March 29, 2009

Changing of the Guard

It is spring once again in Nevada. Actually spring has come and gone and I'm still thinking it is spring. After 35 years in the midwest I truly had forgotten about those California (and now southern Nevada) February springs. Trust me when I say I'm not complaining - maybe a little gloating. But what has that got to do with the "changing of the guard?"

It is tough to get a photos of a squirmy crowd - and 2nd son was the worst of the group (more on that later)

Yesterday, the Bake family left for Boise about 10 am PDT and simultaneously the Allen family left Aurora (11 am MDT) to come. The Bake's took in a little Disneyland and southern California beach (jealousy on my part) and returned to recover at our home. Of course with 2 little boys I really don't think there is any such thing as recover in the vocabulary.

Nonetheless, we had a great time. Dean & I took the kids to the Bass Pro Shop one evening to wear them out. Yes, it was I who was worn out by the time we got home, but they had great time looking a the fish tanks, stuffed animals (they are fake too), and going 100 miles an hour plus through the store in an effort not to miss anything.

Now we turn to a little more sedate group - by that I mean older, with the Allen's in town. It will still be a busy week. And they were ALL up early (is there no justice?) on Sunday.

Grandma and I had about a 13 hour break yesterday and got a lot done - provided you call relaxing and recovering "a lot done", and we did call it that! I think we both felt done in, but when the kids arrived at 11 pm, we and they were ready to go.

Family is all about strengthening relationships and we want our children and grandchildren to have great experiences when they visit. It is the family experiences that they remember - doing things together. There is a strength in our family that is all important and it is the most important work that we do as parents and grandparents.

2 comments:

sally said...

Looks like a good time. Wish we were there. We're having a blustery day here in Idaho.

Student Entrepreneur said...

We brought the wind home with us!! Thanks for letting us stay and making memories with Grandpa and Grandma!!