Sunday, March 15, 2009

Faces of Eight

I'm not sure what it is about being 8 years old, but I know it is all about fun. Two weeks ago when we were in Utah I took some photos of Cole at his baptism and I recognized a spirit of fun that he obviously enjoys. And he is not alone, his two cousins Alexis and Meagan had the same experiences when it was time for their baptism.


Those who are eight years old are at a tender and challenging age. Actually, I think mothers would suggest every age is challenging, just some ages are more challenging than others. But that's the topic of another post. They are tender in that they are coming out of those baby years and moving into those fast growing years. Over the next 9 or 10 years their mothers are not going to be able to satisfy their hunger or keep them in clothes that fit. And their emotions are on a roller-coaster ride that makes any amusement park look tame. Yes, I am talking about girls too.

So it is important we nurture, guide, encourage, sometimes threaten (but carefully and with love), and help them to grow. It is also important we don't lose that spirit of fun, just as it is important we don't take the fun out of their life. You see, it is the fun that so often makes life enjoyable. I still believe in fun and the importance of it in our lives.

Those faces are a mere representation of the zest they have for life. I love that zest and I love those 8-year olds in our family. The best part is, we have more coming and I'm looking forward to it.

If you are wondering, Meagan can make some great faces, I just didn't catch one.

By the way, to those post 8-year olds in the family - you are still fun too.

2 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

I love this age - when they are sleeping!!!!

Jeni Allen said...

I love this age too! I think Meagan's got some fun faces too. Usually I see the eyes rolling!