Saturday, March 7, 2009

Stories You Hear

JoAnn and I had just landed in Salt Lake City and I texted all of our children to let them know we were on the ground. We needed to wait about 45 minutes for Jeni to arrive so I was being unusually slow about getting off the airplane. My intent was to let everyone off and then follow, but I forgot to tell JoAnn. More on that later...

As I'm sitting on the plane I get a call from Suzanne. Normal pleasantries and teasing are exchanged and she says to me, "When you come up in December for Mike's graduation you can help us bless the baby."

At this point people are beginning to move off the plane, but it is still safe for us to sit still. I say, "Okay, that sounds good to me," focusing more on Mike's graduation then on Suzanne. I pass the phone to JoAnn and she talks for a couple of minutes, smiles, and passes the phone back to me.

At this point the people are moving pretty good and it is almost our turn to get off, if I had intended to get off at that point, which I didn't. True to form, however, I didn't tell JoAnn that and after 40 years of flying we me she expects me to be ready to go NOW! Not that I'm impatient or anything.

"Suzanne, we are getting off the plane now, I need to go. We love you."

"Wait Dad, don't hang-up."

"I have to go, Mom is leaving and I can't talk on the phone and handle this carry-on."

"I need to tell you something."


"Okay, just a minute" I respond as I drop the phone on the seat, pick up my carry-on, get in the aisle and reach back for the phone. "What is it?"

"Don't you wonder why we are blessing the baby in December?"

"I really hadn't thought about it, I'm a little busy right now. Why?"

"Cause I'm pregnant!"

Okay, she finally has my attention and I'm almost off the plane. I may be slow but I do pick up on things. A few lessons were learned here:

1. Listen and pay attention to your daughter.
2. Explain things to JoAnn when for the first time in 40 years you plan to be different.
3. It's pretty relaxing just sitting and waiting to get off the airplane. I may try it again.
Oh, and 4. Don't be surprised by just about anything your daughters (or sons) tell you.

2 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

You're so funny. Good life lessons there! Pass them on! Better yet, write a book!

Student Entrepreneur said...

I love you Dad!