Sunday, February 1, 2009

Short Weekends, Long Naps, Reflections

I remember my Grandpa Merriam. When I was young and we were visiting in Des Moines, IA, we would all come home from church, have a big dinner and then Grandpa would putter around until he found the couch. He would lay flat, pick up the newest edition of National Geographic and begin to read. At least that was what I thought as a child.

On reflection, I would sit and watch that National Geographic get lower and lower until it was right over his face with the spine of the magazine centered on his nose. It would stay that way for a couple of hours. I didn't really understand why he was tired, but I sure do now. In fact, I love those weekend naps. Yes, weekend naps. I don't always get them, but it seems they occur more frequently then they used to. I took a 2 hour nap this past Saturday another nap on Sunday. Of course I'm not real tired now.

I'm beginning to think that I'm feeling the need for a little more rest. My weekdays are pretty hectic and I just don't have the stamina I had 20 years ago. I cherish my weekends with JoAnn and time to do different things. Less frequently do I bring home work for weekends. I'm busy with family and with Church, plus a little relaxing. I do enjoy the weekends probably more than I ever have.

Getting back to Grandpa Merriam. He was forever a tinkerer. I was always impressed how he seemd to keep busy. Whether it was genealogy, philately (stamp collecting), photography, or whatever. He was always busy. In later years, after retirement, he moved to polishing stones (see the photo), decoupage, travel, and family. I find myself more like him every day. He was a great influence on me - much more than I recognized.

3 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

Good thing you told us what "philately" is, I wouldn't have had a clue. Next time you feel like tinkering around, come on over, I've got a honeydo list a mile long. No surprises, Mac and I are going to try to tackle it this spring/summer. He's a good boy even if he does drive me nuts sometimes!

Student Entrepreneur said...

I remember when we would go and visit Grandpa and he would have candy and cookies for us! As a kid - that was the BEST! I also remember going and visiting him in the rest home and there was a dog roaming around to visit with everyone. That was WAY COOL I thought! See you tomorrow Dad!

Donna said...

I remember going to visit Grandpa & Grandma Merriam and they were always so nice. But their place was little and the only thing to do in the lobby was work on a puzzle which was discouraged since we were kids and might screw it up! But it was nice to see him. I remember the belt buckle with the silver dollar in it that he gave you, Dad. You were pretty proud of that.