Monday, February 16, 2009

We've Seen Snow...Again


We have had such a beautiful winter (sorry kids), it seemed almost bitter-sweet when the temperature dropped into the 30's for lows over the last 10 days. Even more so we have experienced quite a few rain days (which of course we need). We even had a real midwestern rain day, as noted in a previous blog.


A week ago today, however, we knew rain had just passed and weather was still southern Nevada cold. We had no snow, but as I drove off to the dentist for a 7 am appointment I noticed a little snow on the front mountains, but it wasn't until 90 minutes later when I drove out of the parking lot looking west and I saw the full impact. No, it is not a Wasatch snow and it's not much good for snow caves or cross-country skiing, but it is a Red Rock snow and it is beautiful.

Go to my flickr account to see this panorama as well as other photos, or click on the photo and it will give you a full-screen (width) representation.

We feel fortunate to live so close to the Red Rock Conservation Area and to be able to go out and visit it on a regular basis. We have photos from multiple seasons, but I didn't really have any good snow photos. I was tugged to go work, but also tugged to take some photos. I rationalized, since I did have writing to do, and drove home, picked up my camera and was out the door. The photos in this blog are of Red Rock shortly after the storm and before the sun got too much hold on them. I think they are gorgeous. By the way, I did get some writing done, so no guilt.

6 comments:

sally said...

Those mountains are so beautiful.

quilts and quirks said...

It is such a treat and delight to see the snow on the mountains. I love looking at snow, but not driving or being in the cold snow. Seeing it in Vegas, means just looking and enjoying. I'm still a California girl at heart.

Tim said...

I don't think that qualifies as snow. I think unless you shovel your driveway it did not really snow.

Grandpa said...

Tim's just jealous! No snow in the driveway is one of life's little (sometimes big) pleasures.

Student Entrepreneur said...

I have to agree with Tim on this one:) And since I was there - and still running around town in just a sweater - I know it wasn't that bad!!

Krissie said...

That is so beautiful! I wish we had more than one snow storm this year...which could happen still!