Sunday, January 18, 2009

Some of my favorite quilts

One thing about being married to a quilter is that it seems there is never enough time to get all of the quilts done and never enough material. Okay, there may be enough material, but I've yet to meet a quilter who believed that. The nice thing about being married to a quilter is that I get to see all of her work. And in truth, all of her quilts are my favorite, but I have some that carry a little more weight. We missed taking photos of some of JoAnn's early quilts. As we have gone to visit family we take photos of the missed quilts when we realize we don't have a photo. It goes in our flickr collection. In fact, as I was searching through our photos I realized one of our favorite quilts - at least one of was not present. Thank goodness it's one of the few we kept. We have had it hanging up for years.

I can't possible, in a single post, share all of the quilts that carry a little more meaning, so I will spread these posts out over the next several weeks/months. We shall see.

The variety of quilts is almost daunting. The above right quilt was made for our oldest daughter and is a departure from what JoAnn usually does. It took a long time and a lot of debate over colors, layout and the like. I'm amazed at how much learning goes each and every quilt.


The quilt shown above was the one I alluded to earlier. It is one of her first and remains one of my favorite quilts. I love the colors, the bees, the flowers, and the little quilting pin on the lower right hand corner. The quilt below is my personal favorite because she did it for me. It hangs right above my corner desk in our bedroom where I can look up at it frequently.


Finally, at least with this post I finish with another piece that JoAnn just completed for our youngest daughter, now living in New Mexico. When we went to visit this summer we took time to do a little quilt material shopping. That means I dropped JoAnn off and went looking for a Dairy Queen. No luck with the Dairy Queen, but you can see from the quilt below she found some great material. I love the way the colors go together.


Please note that there are no grandchildren quilts in this selection. That will be in a later "Quilting Grandma" blog.

2 comments:

Krissie said...

I love all those wall quilts. I love mine a lot. We are still determining the best location in this house for it. All of moms quilts are so beautiful!

Donna said...

I know it's different, but I love the one made for me.