Wednesday, December 10, 2008

iPhones, Grandpas and Grandchildren

Who would ever have thought that the iPhone could also be a pacifier. I discovered this a few months ago, but was reminded of it this past weekend. The two almost 3-year olds were tired, maybe even exhausted, and parents and grandparents were trying to somewhat unsuccessfully visit. Then I remembered I carried a portable pacifier.

I whipped out my iPhone pacifier, popped open YouTube and like any good Grandpa I had previously bookmarked a number of cartoons. Among my favorite are Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and the like. It really doesn't matter much what I show as long as it is a cartoon or an animation. There really are some great ones.


The kids jumped up on my lap, or sat beside me and were enthralled for almost 30 minutes. They do get a little fidgety when the cartoon is over, so I have to be pretty quick about getting the next cartoon going. Bonnie got brave enough she figured Grandpa didn't need to hold the iPhone any more. However, when she took it little Danny couldn't see it, so I had to retrieve it. At that age it is still about "mine."


Pacifier in place, the adults went right on with their conversation. When the video got a little loud all I had to do was turn the volume down - on the iPhone, not the adult conversation.

So, next time someone gives you a "what do you do with your iPhone" you can say it's a pacifier for the under 5 crowd - especially when they are tired.

1 comment:

sally said...

That's a really good point. I think I'll bookmark some of the cartoons on youtube so when we are at the doctor's office we're good to go. Bonnie gets so bored so easily. By the way they are both three!