Saturday, February 18, 2012

A little chicken soup, please.


There is just something about soup on a cool day. I can't say a cold day because in Las Vegas it gets cool, but not really cold. Las Vegas cold is light jacket cold or midwestern spring cold. Nonetheless, a good soup is wonderful.

About 3 weeks ago JoAnn started making southwestern chicken soup, a recipe she asked for from the temple cafeteria. It is one of our favorites and the favorite of many others. We used that recipe for social recently and shared it with others. It sure was good. So good, in fact, we probably had it 10 plus times over the next 2 weeks, including a couple of times at the temple. Yes, our temple still has a cafeteria, and it is usually busy.

After 2 weeks of southwestern chicken soup I was ready for a change. So, last Monday I noticed we had some chicken in the refrigerator - just waiting for some soup to go with it. I know that JoAnn appreciates it when I come up with a recipe, so I dug out a crockpot cookbook and looked up chicken soup in the index. Sure enough, I found a great recipe titled Mediterranean chicken vegetable soup. I did a quick look, didn't recognize many of the ingredients, but figured JoAnn would. I even talked to her later in the day to make sure it was okay. It was. I stopped on the way home and got a loaf of French sough dough baguette. Okay, even I know French and sour dough should never be used in the same sentence, but that's what it said on the label. I was ready for dinner.

I got home, walked in and immediately smelled the wonderful soup. I was excited. While I fixed the bread JoAnn dished up the soup. The first thing I noticed was the absence of chicken. "Where is the chicken?" I asked.

"There isn't any chicken in this soup," replied JoAnn.

Of course I knew I was right, but how could JoAnn be wrong? "Sure there is. Let me see the recipe." Guess what? No chicken in the recipe. I know it called for chicken, so I looked in the index where I found it this morning. Is said "chickpea," not chicken.

"I don't understand, why don't they have a chicken soup in this recipe book? To which JoAnn responded, "Maybe because it is a vegetarian cookbook?"

duh…

We had chicken in the soup on Tuesday and it was still awesome.

2 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

That's so cute. Chickpea soup, sounds like something I'd love!

Donna said...

Did you forget your glasses? hee hee Glad it was still good with the chicken!