Saturday, April 30, 2011

Climbing the Valley of Fire State Park with my Oldest Son

It's not very often I have a son come to visit us, but we sure enjoy him when we do. Tim has a conference next week so he came to town Thursday evening for a few days with us. I can't tell you how much we have enjoyed having him (of course we enjoy having all of our children visit - alone or with the whole family). JoAnn had a quilt workshop already scheduled and she is doing things that I can't even begin to understand, like sewing in the ditch. That alone brings all kinds of alternative visions to my mind, none of which I care to repeat, but I would love to take a picture of her sewing while sitting in a ditch. Somehow I just don't think that's the right idea. I've digressed enough. On to the real story.

I was always shooting up because I was the
one who was always behind.
This morning Tim and I took off for the Valley of the Fire State Park. It's about an hour north of us and if Red Rock Conservation Area is beautiful, then this is stupendous! It also provides opportunities for casual climbing, except in those areas where it specifically states "no climbing." Today we climbed and climbed and had a great time. If I had doubts about my back today put much of that to rest. I only didn't make one climb - although I didn't try to make all the climbs Tim did.

One of those areas was at Mousse Basin, a desert water trap. You could peek into it, but not get into it. Tim climbed up the wall to the left then across the top so he could look straight down. There was another family there with an 8 or 9 year old. She found a way to climb up to a point. I was watching and wondering when her parents asked where she was going (I think that's what they asked since it was in a European language I wasn't familiar with. Where is Craig when you need him?). She pointed to the rock across the way where Tim had been standing indicating that was the place she was going to. It was clear from the tone that the parents were not the least inclined to let her do that. With a disappointed look she turned around and came down. A few minutes later Tim appeared again and I had to inform him he was a bad influence on the younger generation.
I'm not so high. By this time I was starting to get tired!

The next time family comes to town, if they want a fun adventure we can go to Valley of the Fire State Park. They have great climbing - almost all easy (although not for little ones) and wonderful campgrounds. The campground we drove through Tim said it was the very best he had seen - mostly because so many of the spots were isolated.
That was a staircase we both had to turn
sideways to get up and I didn't as the
step was too tall for me, but not Tim. He
is at the top in the sun.

It was a good day and now we have stories to tell Mom when she comes home from her quilt workshop. Thanks for sharing your Dad, Joshua, and your husband, Lonita.

6 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!

Lonita said...

Looks like a beautiful spot. Sounds like you tuckered Tim out enough for him to need a nap. And you're welcome for the loan - enjoy it till the rental bill arrives next week.:-)

Krissie said...

Looks like tons of fun & love the pictures!

Donna said...

Beautiful. We'll have to go there next time we come to visit. Glad you're having fun with Tim.

Jeni Allen said...

How fun! I love to go for a nice hike in a nature area!

sally said...

Oh that looks like a lot of fun. Plus I'm jealous you got to see Tim. Maybe in a few years our kids will be able to do that. Maybe when Charlotte isn't so pigeon toed.