Saturday, August 13, 2011

Family Reunion: Lunch in Ames


I have taken a long summer vacation as is obvious by the lack of postings, but it has been time well spent. JoAnn and I spent most of July traveling to Idaho, Utah, and Iowa. The latter was for our family reunion.

A long set of tables and no talking
from end to end - at least quietly.
Iowa has a particular hold on the McLean family. We go back several generations in Iowa, on both sides of my family and as a family, we lived in Ames and Cedar Rapids for a total of 13 years.

As a child I have such fond memories of summers at my grandparents' homes in Des Moines. During this trip I showed at least one daughter and granddaughter where my dad's parents lived and where my mom's parents final home was. Then we drove through the state fair grounds, which was busy getting ready, and talked about experiences I had there.

For all of us going to Ames and Hickory Park restaurant was wonderful. JoAnn and I remember the original Hickory Park, located in an old converted gas station where you would stand outside in the cold (or heat) waiting for a table. You ate dinner or ice cream (there was too much food to eat both), but never both. We first went to Hickory Park in 1977 and as our children grew we took them. Usually we didn't have enough money to take the whole family all at once, so it was special occasions when we took a child. When Donna turned 12 we went with our Bishop (I was the first counselor) and his son and had ice cream. It was great and I still fondly recall that experience.

It was unanimous among our family, long before we got to Des Moines, that we would all go north to Ames. Tim called ahead and made reservations. When we all arrived we asked for a table for 29! In 1977, there were only 6 of us, and 2 were tikes and only 1 was in school, we never imagined we would have dinner for 29 ANYWHERE! But here we are 34 years later and our family has blossomed. And yes, we missed David and Krissie, but the USMC calls and they respond.

Most of the grandchildren sitting in front of a big screen
television taking in cartoons while the patiently (?) waited
for our table

As I looked down the loooooong table at all 29 family members comprising 7 of our 8 families I realized just how wonderful our family has become. Everyone was busy talking, listening, eating, corralling children, and having an awfully good time. Plus, following lunch, many planned to run by the old homestead (it was a townhouse) for additional memories. It is these types of activities that help our family to build long-term relationships. It is going to be too soon before our grandchildren start leaving the nest and building their own families. I wonder how big our table will be next time we go to Hickory Park?

The view from the other end of the table. Mike and Allison
on the right and Ellen on the left.

I hope everyone is getting ready for Denver in 2013.

6 comments:

Donna said...

That was such a fun family reunion. I'm so glad we went to Ames and ate ridiculously cheap, delicious food!

Student Entrepreneur said...

It was a great time!!

sally said...

It was a yummy lunch. I'm not sure I've been to Hickory Parks before.

quilts and quirks said...

It was GREAT getting almost everyone together for lunch. What a wonderful crowd we are. It will be great in Denver in two years.

Jeni Allen said...

I loved it too. I would go back in a heartbeat. Thanks everyone for the great times!

Unknown said...

such a fun and big family reunion. Awesome :)


denver family counselingr