Saturday, July 2, 2011

Reading in Comfort


JoAnn enjoys a good reading chair. She has had several over the years. In the early years they were holding chairs for Joann and the current baby, rather than reading chairs. In those days it was and still is a good recliner. It's not about being able to lay back, but about sitting in a comfortable chair and reading.

A few years ago, when Chas was a baby, we were visiting in Idaho and sitting on the glassed in front porch (it was winter) and rocking on a glider chair. JoAnn fell in love with the chair, so when we got back to Terre Haute we went out and looked for a glider. I had no idea how much they could cost, but we found one we liked really well. It remains JoAnn's favorite chair today. She can spend hours in it reading. She has it located between a campaign table and our bed. Almost every evening when I fall asleep one of the last things I see is her reading. 

In May we went to Modesto to see my Dad and his wife. We stayed at my youngest sister's home. The bedroom had a wonderful chair, at least that is what JoAnn told me. She spent quite a lot of time in it and said, "It's wonderful. I love it." When we got back we found one - and we've been looking for over 2 years. It was a process of finding something that we both liked - especially since it is now my reading chair. Maybe not my chair, but on my side of the room. I'm always willing to share and she is beginning to enjoy the chair when I'm not using it and I only use it late afternoons and early evening to read and study. I have found I enjoy it as much or more than JoAnn. Thanks sweetheart for finding a chair for my back. It is great.


5 comments:

Krissie said...

I love a good reading chair! They are the best and I have been reading a lot more lately as has David. I am tempted daily to not work and read all day, but of course I don't!

quilts and quirks said...

I do love our new chair. Nighttime is great for reading. I do love my glider to read in at night.

Jeni Allen said...

Looks like a great chair! Glad you were able to find it!

sally said...

I love a good reading chair, of course these days I now like to fall asleep in the middle of reading. It's good to know where my girls got the idea of wearing only one sock at a time.

Donna said...

I always love reading in your reading chairs. has made me always want one.