Saturday, February 5, 2011

Happy Birthday Sally

Happy Birthday daughter number 4. You have always been special to us. I could talk about a lot of things, but today, on this your birthday I want to focus on a couple of important moments in your life that had meaning for all of us.

This evening as I was rummaging through our files and photos I came across a short letter from you to the newspaper nominating your mother for Mother of the Year on Mother's Day. It touched our hearts then and again today as we reread it. You were 16 and it was a reflection of the woman you have become:

"I nominate my mother, JoAnn McLean, because I love her. She is always there when I need her. She will listen to my problems and help me take care of my problems. She is the mother of seven and is the luckiest lady in the world, because we all love her. She takes care of me when I'm sick and was always glad to support my school activities. She is the nicest, sweetest and most wonderful person. I just want her to know I love her."

Not too many years later we gathered as a family in Salt Lake City for your wedding. It was a great event as you and Jay were sealed in the Temple. For us marriage of our children is a a celebration, but so much more as we see each of you assume the same role that Mom and I did so many years ago. We admire what you have done with your family, the growth and maturity you have, and the beauty of your family. We see so much of you in your children - mostly good - and you honor us by the way you live.

It was a solemn and wonderful experience  to see you and Jay kneel across the altar and take upon you the covenants of eternal marriage. This photo shows your love for each other. A love that has grown and will continue to grow as you two grow together. That growing never stops.


And as your parents, it was comforting as you stood next to us in the temple garden. It reminds us that somewhere along the way we did some good things and you have chosen to make the right decisions. One look at my hair tells you it must have been windy, or I forgot to comb it again.


Later, in Bloomington, our families gathered for a barbecue on the back patio. Until I saw this photo I forgot that Grandpa McLean and Grandma Ruby were there with us. That made it even more special.


As I have reread this with Mom I was struck by the similarity of another photo taken in Great Grandpa and Grandma McLean's backyard in Modesto, California in August, 1967, where the families sat around the picnic table and ate and visited. These are special moments that remind us on this birthday of how much we love you and our whole family. Have a great birthday sweetheart. Enjoy your family.

5 comments:

quilts and quirks said...

Happy Birthday Sally. We love you bunches!!

Student Entrepreneur said...

Happy birthday!!

sally said...

I love you Mom & Dad. Thanks for the birthday greetings and Mom you are the best Mom in the world.

Jeni Allen said...

Happy Birthday Sally! I sure do love you and your family! You're all such a perfect fit!

Donna said...

Happy Birthday sally!