Friday, August 13, 2010

17 Years? It Seems Just Like Yesterday

It seems just like yesterday that JoAnn and I were flying from Indiana to Utah to meet our soon to be "first" son-in-law. There is something special about a first son-in-law. They are all special, but that first one has the opportunity to set a standard, which he did.

It was summer and the wedding was still a few weeks away and we wanted to meet the young man that dazzled our oldest and, at the time, most eligible daughter. Our function was to meet him, approve of him (that was our only option given by Donna - come to think of it, when the other children married we had the same single option), and make sure we came back for the wedding with the rest of the family. Once we met Donna's beau it was clear they were madly in love. That was good enough for us.

JoAnn & I both thought it looked
like Donna was holding on for dear life.
Seventeen years later we see a family built on love, hard work, and the gospel. They both chose wisely and have worked hard to build a family. I'm sure there have been moments, but Olaf (not his real name, thank goodness) is the most patient person I have ever met. If I had 1/100th of his patience JoAnn would spend a lot less time frustrated with me and my children might be kinder and gentler, but I'm digressing.

What sealed 17 years ago in the Manti Temple has blossomed into a wonderful eternal family. We send all of our love, hopes, and knowing that the next 17 years will be even more wonderful than the first. In fact, I expect to write a blog for that one too.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Thanks Dad. It has a been a wonderful 17 years!

Jeni Allen said...

That's a really sweet post! I don't think I've seen Donna's wedding pics! I know I was on my mission, but how did I miss out on all this good stuff! Next time I visit I'm looking at them!

sally said...

I remember Donna's wedding & thinking she looked so beautiful. She still does!

Student Entrepreneur said...

I remember the wedding day and getting all ready for it!! Fun times!! Happy 17 years!!

I didn't realize how close in marriage us 3 older girls are!!
Donna is 17
Jeni is going on 16
And I am going on 15!!