Saturday, May 29, 2010

A walk around the Temple

Usually when JoAnn and I go to a new temple we walk all around it. Usually after we have accomplished our purposes for being at the temple. However, we've been in Las Vegas for almost 3 years and had yet to walk around the temple's exterior. I took care of that on Thursday evening. I had done some initiatories and was taking a break for dinner before I went back for a session.

It seemed like a perfect evening to take a walk around the temple and see what it looked like other than from the front. It was worth the time. The temple sits on a hill just below an east mountain. The front faces a parking lot and I have seen it many times, but as I walked south down the sidewalk I found myself in the trees looking east at the temple. As I looked up the spires.


It didn't hurt that the clouds were uncommonly beautiful. When you live in Las Vegas you become accustom to lots of sunshine and few clouds. This spring has been different and Thursday evening was a perfect time to take some photos. As is becoming more common when I'm just out and don't have my Nikon with me I've got my "Brownie Box Camera" or rather my iPhone.


Just to the east from where I was taking photos was a beautiful fountain.


JoAnn says this photo looking at the easr side of the temple up towards the celestial room is her favorite.


We may live in the desert, but the temple is an oasis, in many ways. These photos helped to prove it is a place where you can experience peace on the outside as well as on the inside.

2 comments:

sally said...

Pretty pics of the temple.

MotocrossMom AKA Autumn H. said...

When I lived in Vegas (during college) that was one of my favorite places to go at night. I would sit in my truck outside the gates and look at the temple. It was always such a juxtaposition with the bawdy, loud city posed behind it. Such a quiet refuge amidst the carnival atmosphere.