Thursday, May 6, 2010

Daughters are special...and granddaughters too!

Last weekend we had all of our daughters in town for sisters' weekend and while I'm officially uninvited I still hung around this year. For me the joy comes from seeing how our daughters have grown and matured. I still remember them as children and while I try not to treat them that way, they are always special to a dad and always his little girls. I love each one of them individually and collectively. Individually because of their own unique and special qualities (and quirks). Collectively because of how much they love and support each other. There are still friendly competitions between the girls, but you can sense their love for one another. JoAnn and I can sit and listen to them for hours. Of course, with 5 girls all talking at the same time it can get a little loud, and always has.

When we sit back and reflect about not many years ago when they ranged from a few months to 14 and the photo below taken when Krissie must have been about 3, you can see how similar and different they are. The two older girls are in their teens and have earrings and at least one necklace (I think JoAnn would call those earrings and necklace "bling-bling"). The others are watching and developing their own personalities. Our home was never dull, not with all those girls and 2 brothers. I sometimes wonder how we survived.


And yet here we are, now almost 6 years as empty nesters and some children gone for almost 20 years. They have husbands, children, families, different friends, live apart (most of them), and yet, when they get together, they are still best friends. Better than just best friends they always invite their brother's wives because they want them to share in the fun. This year our newest daughter-in-law came and was initiated into the "sisters' weekend." This is also the first year we had babies attending (I think, but then I wasn't present last year).


As JoAnn and I have sat on the back patio and talked about our daughters we have realized, once again, what a great family we have been blessed with. They are all good kids, working hard to raise their own families, even if it is just a husband and wife, and knowing that they are never alone. Between Facebook, email, and telephone calls this has got to be the most connected our family has ever been.

Thanks for coming girls and for sharing our two youngest granddaughters. I can hardly wait until the granddaughters are old enough to join sisters' weekend.

6 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

Oh my, tears are coming. I had so much fun, but I always do with my sisters! I'm glad you were there dad, you made it special. I'm so glad the babies came and that I stayed home to help with them when everyone else went down to the strip. I'm so glad I can still have babies without having babies. Sisters are the best! I love them all! Thanks mom and dad!

Student Entrepreneur said...

Love it dad!!

Donna said...

It was a good weekend. Wish it could last longer.

Grandpa said...

This is our girls. They are the greatest. We have so much fun together. It's just so much fun having everyone together. Wait, I said that already. But it is so true.

Grandpa said...

The last comment was from Mom using my blog. I didn't log out after logging in for another blog.

sally said...

I just love sister's weekend. It is always so nice to get together and laugh (which is what we seem to do all weekend) or else shed a tear or two over things that make our hears ache.