Sunday, March 7, 2010

Midwestern Clouds

When you live in the midwest you take clouds for granted. They are almost always there. They come in many forms and colors - or at least shades of gray if it is storm weather. In the morning they can be red or yellow or even varying shades. In the evening as the sun sets and dips below the clouds you get some really wonderful colors with a red glow rippling off the bottoms of the clouds. The tall thunderheads are equally beautiful and terrifying. At night as the full moon behind the cloud cover gives a glow that sometimes seems to fulfill the sky you know that the universe is vast and beautiful, that it is full of wonder, and that nature is beauty.

The clouds are just lifting on the mountains west of our home. Of course as I write this the clouds are back and almost as beautiful.

All that doesn't disappear when you move west, but the frequency of clouds, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and especially thunderheads are rare. We have had a wet spring in Las Vegas and as a front passed through last night and today the clouds were beautiful. When I left for Church this morning there were no mountains to be seen, they were shrouded in a cloudy mist. An hour later when I came home to get JoAnn the clouds were beginning to lift, the sun was shining and yet, the clouds had that midwestern look. It was beautiful and while I miss the clouds I have yet to miss the winter.

Looking east from our home as the front moves through gives us some beautiful clouds to look at. Some mornings we can even get a beautiful sunrise.

While driving home I was int he shade, but the neighborhood and the mountains were capturing that beautiful desert sunshine. Absolutely beautiful.

4 comments:

sally said...

I miss the cloud so much out west. But I don't miss the humidity. Thanks for sharing the pretty photos.

Student Entrepreneur said...

Love the clouds!!

Krissie said...

Love the clouds! We still have them in ABQ and I feel so lucky to have them! In the winter, the Sandia Mountains are known (by me) as the peek a boo mountains because the could cover will cover them a lot and they will play peek a boo with you all day! It's really fun to see.

Donna said...

I miss the clouds and thunderstorms. But I don't miss trying to get somewhere in the rain and getting drenched!