Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Spirit of the Eagle


On March 17, I attended the most amazing and stirring Eagle Court of Honor I had ever attended. It has been more than a few years since I attended my last Eagle Court. It was when our son Tim received his Eagle award.

The boys with red, white, and blue neckerchiefs are the new Eagle Scouts.
On this night four boys received their Eagle award and one received the Spirit of the Eagle. The young man who received the Spirit of the Eagle was our deceased grandson, Calvin. He died over 3 years ago in a tragic auto accident. Tonight, however, the Eagle Court celebrated, not just Calvin, but the work of 5 young men. The four boys who received their Eagle award had all chosen to wait to do it together and with Calvin. That alone made this a special evening. Each of the boys was justly honored, including Calvin's younger brother, Clayton. Calvin received his award in the middle of the program and I was asked by Calvin's parents to make the presentation. Words fail me as I attempt to describe my emotions on making this award. The honor, the responsibility, the joy of being asked all burst upon me and yet I felt the spirit with me and with all who were there. We knew Calvin and his grandpa Rob were present. Calvin and Clayton are 3rd generation Eagle scouts.

Presentation of Calvin's Eagle Spirit Award to his parents
There were teachable moments in this Eagle court. As each boy received their Eagle award they had the opportunity to present an "Eagle Mentor" award to someone special. Each of the boys picked a leader who had helped them on campouts, with badges and the like. Clayton, however, chose to go his own way. He selected a sister Peterson who had been one of his leaders. She made her day, week, and probably decade. He tried to shake her hand and she wrapped him in her arms and gave a great big hug. We were all taught with that insight from a 14-year old boy.

Clayton's Eagle Award
Each of the new Eagle Scouts also received an Eagle bolo tie from "Carvin Marvin" who has produced these for years. Each one is hand carved and painted. Cole received Calvin's bolo tie.

There was also a leadership group present, called Timberline. Many of the boys participate in it. It is a leadership training program. Calvin went through the training and died before he was able to be a leader. Clayton did the training and served as a leader. Two of the Timberline adult leaders had saved ashes from the last nights' fire for almost 3 years - when Calvin would have served as a leader - and put them in a nice container and presented them to Donna and Chris.


It was a wonderful evening. Spiritually rewarding. Each young man and their families knew they had participated in a special ceremony. The boys may not realize that until much later, but when they do they will appreciate it for what it was.

After we all arrived at home Chris came up to me and handed me an "Eagle Dad" pin and said, "Dad, I won't need this any more. I have one now!" I had placed my Eagle Dad pin in Calvin's casket just before they closed it. At the time it was one of the most treasured mementos I had. I'm glad to have it back. I wanted Chris to have it because Calvin was so close and I felt he would appreciate it.

Clayton with his Grandmothers, Cole in front, and the rest of the family

JoAnn and I look forward to attending many more Eagle Courts of Honor for our grandsons in the future.

3 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

That is really awesome dad. I know Donna felt it was very touching. Krissie felt so great sending the flag for CAlvin. That is really special about Clyton's mentor. What a sweet program. I'm glad you documented the evening. So often we have these great experiences but don't write them down. Thanks!

Donna said...

Thanks for coming and sharing this Dad. It was a wonderful day!

Marti said...

Danny,
Thank you for sharing this wonderful day with us. I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I so often think of your family and how incredibly strong they are. I love each and every one of you all. I'm a very proud aunt.
Love you!