Friday, December 11, 2009

It's Winter and Christmas in Las Vegas


We are spending our third winter and 2nd Christmas in Las Vegas. Last year we were off to Des Moines, IA, but were still here for much of the Christmas season. However, this year it appears that I'm beginning to know when it is Christmas season and since I don't believe in Black Friday I have to figure it out other ways. Some of the things I have experienced this year include:
  • Our neighbor turned his Christmas lights on the day after Halloween. I really thought that was just a bit tacky, but it is Las Vegas.
  • Our other neighbor waited a week to turn his Christmas lights on. Both are just around the roof line of their homes, but still, they are Christmas lights.
  • More lights - some terribly gaudy seemed to appear on almost a daily basis.
  • Finally I was shamed into Christmas lights for our house (see photo). Forty-two years without outside lights and finally I broke down. Of course we are in Las Vegas so our front bushes are sage, but JoAnn says they look good.
  • The radio stations started playing Christmas music 24-7 within a week of Halloween. If that's not the truth it sure feels like it.
  • I had to wear a coat 3 days this week. That's a sure sign it is nearing Christmas. I haven't had to do that this early before.
  • I woke up to snow on the mountains (and only a mile and 1,500 feet in altitude) and for me that IS a sure sign.
  • The weather man talks about how cold it has been all day - 42 degrees. And I'm cold at that temperature. Maybe I'm finally becoming adjusted to the warmer winters.
  • Tonight I drove home from Target in a blizzard - A Las Vegas blizzard. When the snow flakes are less than 24 inches apart we are allowed to call it a blizzard.
  • Finally, our Christmas tree is up and the cat is eating it, and it's a fake tree.
  • Oh, I almost forgot, we had our college Christmas party tonight. Being in the Hotel college I never got spreads like we get here. We have our own kitchens, our own chefs, our own conference center, the chef comes out and asks how it is, and the food was yummy. JoAnn says the shrimp and crab was outstanding. It was yummy as you only find in Las Vegas.
It's good to feel like Christmas - finally.

4 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

Let me know when the party is next time!! I want to go too!! Love the lights!!

Donna said...

So sad you had to wear a coat 3 days last week, it was so cold here I probably should have worn 3 coats all week! I can't believe you put lights on the outside of your house. Wow!

sally said...

I saw a big pink flamingo that lit up at Target the other day. I was thinking if I gave it to Mom for Christmas how would she get it home. Maybe I should just tell her about the flamingo and then one day you'd come home from work and there would be a huge pink flamingo that lights up in your front yard.

Grandpa said...

I don't think so Sally! I know where you live and you could end up with a lit hippo - bright green and purple. Of course the kids would love it!